We still do not know much, or really anything at all, about Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment’s new Star Wars game outside of the fact that it’s a third-person action game. But now we know a little more: when it might launch.
During an earnings call today, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said this untitled and officially unannounced game will most likely debut in EA’s Fiscal Year 2020. This revelation came in response to a question about when a new Star Wars: Battlefront game might launch.
Jorgensen it is more likely that Respawn’s game launches in Fiscal Year 2020 rather than a new Battlefront. Jorgensen said EA has not decided when or if it will release another Battlefront game.
EA’s Fiscal Year 2020 runs April 1, 2019 through March 31, 2020. So that means Respawn’s new Star Wars game could launch sometime in that far-away window.
Respawn’s Star Wars game is being directed by God of War III director Stig Asmussen. The developer pitched it to EA but the publisher apparently was not all that enthusiastic about it, but eventually warmed up to the idea. Last year, EA purchased Respawn in a deal potentially worth more than $450 million.
In 2013, EA signed a 10-year deal with Disney for the Star Wars video game rights. So the publisher has a few more years left on that agreement assuming it hasn’t already been quietly extended. During the earnings call today, EA CEO Andrew Wilson stressed that EA’s relationship with Disney was not damaged by the controversy surrounding Star Wars: Battlefront II‘s microtransactions.
EA’s latest mainline Star Wars game was 2017’s Star Wars: Battlefront II, which underperformed, shipping 9 million copies instead of the 10 million that EA projected.
A new Battlefield game is coming this year, reportedly scheduled for October, though EA has yet to officially announce this game.
Source: GameSpot News